Thursday, September 10, 2009

How does it feel

Yesterday, I was talking to a colleague who works out in the East coast. He has been in our international office for a few months and now he is back in the US and we are planning a project together. He sent me an email and congratulated me on my marriage and during the course of the conversation, I brought up "my husband" (specifically, "My husband has me drinking peach lambec since I miss cider").

He asked me if being married and referring to Hubs as my "husband" feels different. I did not have to take long to answer.

Hubs and I have been together for over three years and lived together for over two. So, we did not go through the traditional moving in together. when we first moved in together it was a bit of an eye opening experience and it took some time to adjust to the small things but now we are so used to it. We are relatively low maintenance sometimes a good home cooked meal and a DVD is all we need.

One thing that seemed to shift was our priorities. We now are more focused on our future and our family. Our priorities are aligned better and we both are making some sacrifice to reach our goals. We are working hard on reducing our collective debt and trying to find ways to enrich ourselves together as well as individually. We have not lost our independence and we both support it.

I guess it is because he is the missing puzzle piece, the yang to my yin but being with him as his girlfriend, fiancee or wife is uncomplicated and that makes it easy.

What about you, did you feel different when you reached a milestone in your relationship?

2 comments:

restaurant refugee said...

I'd tell you about the milestones from my marriage, but they are all negative. I don't know if that is the case because of time hardening my memories, or if they were really that bad at the time. There were happy memories to be sure - a great dinner at my favorite checkered table cloth place in Baltimore's little Italy, a good day on the tennis courts - but the milestones all marked time towards our divorce which I knew was inevitable after eleven weeks.

Non Sequitur Chica said...

Not married yet (3 weeks!), but I don't think that we will feel any different. We have been together for 4 years, lived together for 2.5. But I still can't wait to call him my husband!