Friday, February 29, 2008

The straw that broke

Well the straw broke. Hobo was back in the building on Thursday and was caught by one of our neighbors who subsequently called the police whilst hobo fled. So it seems that the "solution" our management agency came up is not working and so it was the last straw.

We are not renewing our lease and instead we are going to buy a CONDO. We've been talking about it over the past few weeks and we were planning on doing this in a few months but with the current situation and the fact that our lease is up in two months we got to get cracking.

So we are in hyper mode and have to start the process this weekend. I am excited and freaked out at the same time and I have to remind myself to breath. I am full of nervous energy but it could also be the donut that I ate.

It is in a sense surreal but we have planned and thought this through. The next 60 days will be another adventure!

So my friends, what suggestions, lessons or advice do you have for first time home buyers??

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Yes! I have advice! It's good advice, too. I'm so glad I get to share it. Are you ready? Here it is:

Get a buyer's broker.

It does not cost you a cent to get a buyer's broker. (A buyer's broker shares the commission with the seller's agent.) Whatever you do, don't go to a realtor and ask to see a few places. They will take you to see their own listings, and they'll be representing the sellers, not you.

So instead, go to a realtor and ask them to be a buyer's broker for you. In this market, they'll be more than happy to share a commission with another realtor.

I was the tender age of 20 when we bought our first home, and we did not have our own agent. The agent disclosed to us that she was representing the sellers, not us, but we were naive, and we got screwed.

Oh, and ask your friends to recommend good realtors.

Jessica said...

Good grief. I almost forgot:

Congratulations!

Are you getting married now, too? :)

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.

Erin said...

Two months to buy a condo? Wow, that's quick. Although, I suppose people do that all the time.

I can't offer any advice at all since I bought my place from the builder directly and it was months and months before it was even built. I never met with a Realtor or anything.

Best wishes! May your condo be hobo free.

Jessica said...

Get your financing preapproved now. Erin's right. Two months in not a lot of time. You don't want to be wasting time getting approvals after you find the place you want.

Teriana said...

Make sure it has a dishwasher.