Thursday, August 03, 2006

Carvel truck spotted, memories of Sugarpuss and Fudgy the Whale ensue

So I was driving into work this morning and decided to take the local roads rather than the expressway because of the bad weather that plagued the area last night. so there I was in my car and I see a truck ahead of me...the name was familiar. It was a Carvel truck! For those who are unfamiliar with Carvel here is the scoop (no pun intended, ok maybe a wee pun)...

Carvel was founded in 1934 by Tom Carvel and his family. It was this ice cream store that specialized in soft ice cream. The very first Carvel was located in Hartsdale, NY which is my hometown. The store is still standing and it was one of the places that my parents would take us now and then. Carvel also specialized in ice cream cakes Sugarpuss and Fudgy the Whale. Sugarpuss was this cake in the shape of a cartoon creation with sugar cone ice cream nose. Fudgy the Whale was this ice cream cake in the shape of the whale. Now each of their cakes has a cookie crumble that separates the two halves. That was the best part of the entire cake. In fact, my cousin worked in his local store when he was in high school so when we had family dinners he would bring the dessert and make sure it was loaded with the cookie crumble.

So on my way to work I was craving a piece of ice cream cake from Carvel. They do not have Carvel in IL (or at least I don't think so). So it brought back memories of my dad's old blue car, the treks to Carvel after dinner, the memorial day parade where the local fire dept would give each kid a ice cream cookie afterwards, family dinners were my cousins and I would try to see what piece had the most cookies crumbles...such sweet innocent. It made me happy this morning...just seeing a Carvel truck

No comments: