Friday, September 12, 2008

Ever the same

I often look back at the college days with fond memories. There were the ups and downs, the good and the bad and the highs and lows. Some of the people that I met became friends.

Living in an environment where the community is small and where you can see your friends by walking across the hall or even across campus seemed so easy. It was a cold reality when we graduated and scattered all over the world and seeing friends would be a, phone call, car ride or plane ride away. In fact, I lost touch with people and really stayed close with a few friends.

One of my friends J9 moved to Chicago with her now husband a few years after I did. We now live 5 blocks away from each other and yet due to work and life it is hard to make time to see each other.

Last week a friend our ours D had a message on Facebook that he was going to be the Chicago area. So I send a message to let me know if he wanted to grab a drink. Last night J9, her hubby, D, the BF and I went out to dinner. It was the first time I have seen D in about 5 years and the last time I saw J9 was in February.

It was so much fun we ate, drank and were merry. Some things don't change after all these years. There was a lot of catching up and waxing nostagicly. We talked about our friend S who passed away in 2000 and our random school memories like the pasta noodle on the ceiling of the dining hall that stuck for 4 years.

At one point I looked around the table and remembered some random things that we all used to do but at the same time, saw how far we have really come. I am in awe of my friends sometimes.

It just made me feel that no matter where we all end up, the our college bond still stays true to our hearts,

2 comments:

Nilsa S. said...

So long as all parties involved are mature, it's easy to come and go and feel like some things never change. It's great you had a chance to catch up with everyone.

Teriana said...

I know what you mean. Not about college friends since I'm not graduated yet, but people I've worked w/ that became good friends. I struggle to keep up w/ them sometimes.