Tuesday, April 25, 2006

lately

At times like this, there is only one person who can put some things that are in my head and my heart into words and that person of course is David Gray. He is a Welsh singer/songwriter who uses words to reflect such powerful images, emotions and moments in time. He seems to capture the essence of my life at different times all the ups and downs. David has been there for me for a long time and I have wrapped some of his songs around me and let them speak when I couldn't. Pete use to joke with me and ask me if it was a David Gray or not when he saw me. Pete knew (and knows) how to get to the core of me and he is one of the few that can pull me out and make me talk about what is going on. Just by listening to what song David was singing in my ears at times, Pete knew what was going on in my life

Right now, there are two songs from his latest album "A New Day at Midnight" that sum it all up for me...they are lately and life in slow motion. For some reason, those two songs encompass my feelings now. I think I will let them speak for me now...

LATELY---That the sky would lift That I’d find my place That I’d see your face in the door And the sun would glint On a time well spent On a time that ain’t no more Takes the broken hearts In the vacant lots To see the fruit that rots on the trees Had to turn my head Leave it all for dead But it’s in my mind always Honey lately I’ve been way down Load on my mind Honey lately I’ve been way down Load on my mind

Someone tell me where did it go Darling I'm damned if i know I seen that look in your eye No one ever gave it a chance I could have said in advance You saw it all at a glance And goodbye
Goodbye

Drag a salted kiss From this cup of bliss Watch a new lie twist on the breeze You can paint it red Or Leave it all for dead But it’s in my head always Honey lately I've been way down Load on my mind Honey lately I've been way down Load on my mind Someone tell me where did it go Darling I'm damned if i know I seen that look in your eye No one ever gave it a chance I could have said in advance You saw it all at a glance And goodbye Goodbye Goodbye Goodbye

Now Honey lately Yeh Honey lately Honey lately i've been way down yeh Honey lately i've been way down yeh Honey lately i've been way down Honey lately i've been way down Lately Lately Lately

SLOW MOTION--While I was watching you did a slow dissolve While I was watching you did a slow dissolve While I was watching you did a slow dissolve

Did I imagine or do the walls have eyes Did I imagine they held us hypnotized Did I imagine or do the walls have eyes

Life in slow motion somehow it don’t feel real Life in slow motion somehow it don’t feel real Life in slow motion somehow it don’t feel real

Snowflakes are falling I'll catch them in my hands Snowflakes are falling I'll catch them in my hands Snowflakes are falling now you’re my long lost friend

Sing on David...this too shall pass...

1 comment:

Joe Important said...

I haven't heard a lot of his stuff, but I have "Babylon" on my iPod.