Thursday, December 14, 2006

Puppy dog tails

The cutest dog ever! Charlie Beau

I have decided to rave about dogs and dedicate this post to Ringo. My co-worker/friend had to put Ringo down the other day due to a tumor on his pancreas that was causing him to have seazures and low blood sugar, he was 9.

I adore dogs, always have, always will. When I was a wee lass, I begged and pleaded with the parents to allow me to have a dog. There used to be a store in the local mall that sold puppies and I would have to be dragged out. It got so bad that my brother and I were not allowed in that store anymore. So then the teen years came and I was much more interested in other things like big hair (please don't judge) and NKOTB (I was 13, give me a break :>). Well it was not until after I graduated college and earned my first real pay check did the "I want a dog" come back. I was living with my parents and had to beg them. I finally wore my mom down but dad, he was not relenting.

Finally one day at work my mom called and said "Dad said yes". I could get a dog. I was so happy but little did he know that I picked one out. There was a local store that sold puppies and I checked them out for months and made sure that the dogs were treated well and did not come from puppy mills. I also had to make sure that they had certain dogs because my brother and my dad has allergies. So that narrowed the breed pool to about 4 dogs. That night I ran to the store to see if the dog that I wanted was available but she wasn't. I was bummed because I wanted a girl. But her brothers were still available, so I decided to take a look and I knelt down to the cage. There were two shih tuz puppies, one peach and white the other black and white. The peach and white just slept but the other dog took notice of me and came over and sat down. Then he got on his hind legs and just looked at me. That was my dog.

I got him and paid and the next day my mom, brother and I went to pick him up. Oh he was so nervous and was shaking. But cuddled into me on the drive home. As so as we put him on the driveway, he peed and my dad said "Great now it begins" and it sure did.

He was nameless for a few days and we finally agreed on Charlie and I added a middle name Beau. He quickly became so important to us all. He was 3 pounds when we got him and could not go down the stairs so as a game he would run all the stairs and cry until someone got him. My bro thought that this would continue all the days of his life. When Charlie finally went down the stairs you would think that we won the lottery we were so excited. Of course like all puppies he had his fun. I once came home to find him entangled in one of my new expensive Victoria Secret bras because as all boys do he loved to play with bras!

He totally won over my dad. My dad told me that he would NEVER walk, feed or touch the dog. But Charlie had his ways, when my dad was watching tv, charlie would just sit next to him. when dad got home, charlie would be at the door wagging his tail with a toy ball. One day my mom and I were in the kitchen and we peeked to the living room after my dad got home and there it was, dad was petting and playing with Charlie. Now that dad is retired, Charlie is his home buddy and in the summer they sit in the back yard reading or walking the block.

He used to sleep in my room and I would wake up to a fuzzy face next to me on my pillow. He despises Elton John's song Crocodile Rock because I would dance with him to that song as a wee puppy, he has to have his dinner cooked, he hates the rain, toddlers are his enemy, loves car rides, and is the cutest thing.

I miss him, after I moved to my apartment in Brooklyn I had to leave him behind and he became attached to my mom. Then when I moved to Chicago I could have him but my work schedule and a new environment would not be the best for him. So he is still with my mom and dad spoiled rotten and happy. We've had him for over 8 years and he has brought such joy.

Currently, I am taken by the BF's dog, Yukon. She is a lab and is also just the cutest. I am not used to big dogs but she is a star. When I was sick this weekend she was in bed with me, when I make dinner she is next to me to cover the floor if something drops, she loves her ear rub and sometimes I wake up to her staring at me with a toy that I got her in her mouth. I have prevented the BF from buying a dog Yoda costume and a dog elf costume. She is my buddy.

A few weeks ago, Dixie, the BF's childhood dog died. She was almost 16 and was just fading away. His dad found her curled on her bed. I met her a few times and in July when I first met the family, she was the first one (besides the BF) to like me. She had some spunk in her and was a feisty little girl. When GP told me she passed I began to cry. I can't imagine how it would feel to go through that. I have my fears about it but, I know that it happens, it is the circle of life.

I've been a pest to the bf whining about how I want a puppy. He humors me but, we know that right now it is not the right time for us. With me being in school and us living in two different apartments, it would not be right. But hope spring eternal

I truly feel blessed to have known these dogs. They are truly angels and I do believe that all dogs go to heaven.

Rest in peace Ringo, I know that when your mom gets there you will be at the pearly gates waiting for her.

No comments: