Wednesday, February 14, 2007

I choo choo choose you

This just popped into my head. I was thinking about how when I was in grammar school we used to write valentine's to everyone in the class. It started with selecting the type of cards you wanted to give your classmates, then the difficult decision about what card to give what person ( you did not want to give certain people the wrong impression!). Then you had to write out your name and remember to bring them to school.

At school we would make "mailboxes" for our desks to collect the cards. Then you would distribute them and check to see what you got and from whom. Since I went to Catholic school, you had to give them to everyone. But before that, I went to public school and that was not a huge deal. I remember 2nd grade there was this boy in my class...Leroy. I did not like him, he was mean to me and called me names, plus he smelled. Well my dad forced me to write him one. My dad had an affinity for him because Leroy was the only person to thank my day on my birthday when he handed him a cupcake (memo to me, get a cupcake). So I had to give Leroy a card. I did not see him after that year because I switched schools.

It is funny the things that you remember!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Even though I went to public school, I always gave everyone a Valentine. In fact, it never even occurred to me to NOT give someone a Valentine, no matter how much I disliked him or her. I still remember in fifth grade having to secretly hide the two Valentines I had addressed to the two Jehovah's Witness students. I'd forgotten that they couldn't have Valentines.

So as you say, it's weird what we remember.

Christina said...

In Catholic school were were lectured about kindness etc so everyone got a card. Pretty much same in Public school but without the nun's lecture on how it is not nice to not give cards to everyone.

Then again this was the same nun who had to tell us it was important for us to change our undergarments. It wasn't a sin but it was good manners.

Ah good times!