Friday, February 16, 2007

New age concentration

My dad is very pragmatic and practical. Well, I decided to get two masters instead of one and decided to think of what other concentration should I do. My initial concentration is international business and my functional emphasis in it is management.

Now, I want to be done with school by the end of this year so with that in mind I wanted a management concentration. Well last quarter, I took the coolest class ever called "Creativity in Business". It was so much fun and it was about ideas and how you can use creative tools to garner some really profitable ideas. One of my classes was in the Art Institute! So After that class I decided to get a second concentration in Change and Leadership management.

Last week I finally submitted the additional concentration papers and got the approval on Tuesday. Well I am very excited and that class was cross listed so I will be able to still graduate in November. I was speaking with my dad last night and told him my news and he was quiet and said "I think that is too new agey and you should think of a more practical concentration like economics. You don't want employers to think you are too "out-there" you need to be practical." I gave him my reason why economics is not going to happen and I will keep my two concentrations, thank you very much. After all I (well technically the US government but I have to pay back the loans) am paying for this schooling so it is my decision.

So I was chatting on-line with my friend JT and told him that my dad thought that my additional concentration was too new age and trendy and his response...why don't you consider economics!

Ack, well while business people analyse the past and make predictions, I will use tools to motivate, change and empower businesses now. So there....

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Okay, I'm gonna be a little bit bossy here, but it's gotta be done. Let me tell you how to fix it. You get yourself a tie-dyed shirt, a headband, and some crystals. Tell your dad your dropping out of school and joining a New Age cult. And tell him that this is good-bye because you're not allowed to talk to people outside the cult.

That'll fix him.

Christina said...

There you go, I'll have to try that one.

But, here is the ironic part, my mom would be entralled and would call me for the details!

Ian said...

Hi there,

I'm bloghopping and dropped in via Boobs, Injuries, and Dr. Pepper.

It's always exciting to me to see someone in a field not known for creativity embracing it. Good luck with the new emphasis!

Ian

Christina said...

Thanks Ian,

Why be a conformist?

Thanks for stopping by!