Monday, December 12, 2011

Day 16 Persevere

Describe something that disappointed you in 2011 and how you persevered.

Losing my job was not the disappointment, I saw it coming and I was glad to go, things were getting bad within the company. Finding the job was the disappointment, it has taken a number of months to finally land a position. I did not expect it to last that long especially since I got calls the week that I got laid off for meeting and interviews. There was a period of time when things got bad, after a number of interviews were I was a top candidate when it fell through the cracks for various reasons. It has been very tough.

But I picked myself up and moved on and finally found a position that fits my skill set and can lead to other possibilities. I had a great support system with my husband, my family and some of my friends cheering me up and cheering me on. I found strength in them sometimes and had to lean on them in others. But thankfully, I made it through.

What was your 2011 disappointment and how did you persevere?


2 comments:

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

I think it's incredibly hard to want to work, to need to work, but to not have an opportunity to showcase your skills. I have watched my uncle's mental state deteriorate after years of being unable to find work. I hope you are able to look back at your months without work as an opportunity to figure out the best "next" for you and finding that position. You definitely persevered.

Christina said...

@Nilsa, Exactly, those who want to work and can't can have it really affect their mental state. There were periods when I was feeling so useless and worthless and a wee bit depressed. It was very taxing on me. These past few months have given me time to appreciate the small things and find simple joy in the little things like a walk to the lake.