Monday, May 01, 2006

Signs...

The core of the novel, The Alchemist is that the universe give you signs to point you in the right direction. It is up to us to decipher what these signs are and where they are pointing. It is not an easy task and we sometimes don't realize the opportunity nor the path we are on. Maybe there is a deeper meaning that we can't see, the whole forest from the trees concept.

It was like the decision that I made a few years ago to move to Chicago. I knew that I had to shake my life up and that I was just going through the motions and I was not happy. When the seed of Chicago was planted, there were signs everywhere. It happened on a Saturday in the apartment in Brooklyn when I trying to decide, I was watching TV...the first channel showed a city and I thought it was a cool skyline but I did not know what city it was, it turned out to be Chicago. I flipped the channel and it was for Pizza hut's Chicago deep dish pizza...Ok...then about a half hour later...a commercial for Chicago's greatest hits. Ok, at that point I got it. That was the direction that the universe wanted me to follow (or at least I think it is).

I am still here in this city but trying to figure out just why? What would happen if I stayed in NY? What is my reason to be here? I have met some people who became my second family and my good friends. But there is something that is not yet satiated and I can't figure it out.

I am looking for signs but I am not sure what to look for, who to look for and why? Is it really at the hands of God, fate, karma, the universe or whatever or is it just the luck of the draw. Does free will make us make decisions so that we learn something? What do we ultimately learn, what do we seek? I guess it is something that is unique to each of us, but there has to be some common link.

One of my friends has the universe pointing him in a certain direction and he knows it but he is afraid of the challenge or perhaps maybe the disappointment and the fear of the unknown. I can see his signs and he has the opportunity for something that may help him down the line, it is a great thing.

Does this mean that other people can see my signs as clear as day but I don't? It would be easier for the signs to be in big billboard neon letters for me to see it! But then again it can't be obvious, simple or easy.

I am just looking and listening to find which direction that the universe is pointing me in. If it was only so simple...but then again life happens! What opportunities that I had would have been missed but then what opportunities would I have been spared? Still looking!

No comments: