Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Tests vs. Learning

So my second quarter round of mid-terms have begun. I had one last night that I must say was a fair exam. I think that I did well but I will find out next week perhaps sooner as my prof is on top of his game! Tomorrow night I face the dreaded stats exam, although I think it will be okay based on the breakdown that we were given last week. I will be glad when it is over and I can be on my sofa watching BBC America!

However, I wonder what the merits of grades vs, the learning process. I mean, I fall into the trap that I must do well and I set out my goals for the quarter and try to accomplish them. Yep, a strong GPA is important to me. I did graduate with honors as an undergrad so the bar has been set. But what have I learned from school? If I come out of school knowing what I need to know isn't that of greater value than to have a number next to your name. Does it really matter in the job market or the outside world?

At DePaul, we do get grades, GPA and it will appear on our transcripts. At the University of Chicago, they will only release your transcript that states that you graduated the U of C. But then again if you survive the U of C then you deserve to be hired anywhere. (right JT?) However, if you learn something then that should count for something.

I may not care about stats but I get the concept (for the most part). I appreciate it but my math carelessness may not reflect that. Why be a slave to grades? I guess it means that I have to review the studying that I did over the weekend and just be careful....but as long as I learn something , that is more valuable to me than a grade.

No comments: