Thursday, June 15, 2006

Just a weird rant

So my mom is coming to visit me for the weekend and on Sunday I am taking her to see the Cubs play in Wigley field. Wigley field is a beautiful old stadium who has thus far avoided becoming a marketing gimmick for big companies. Now, I am not a MLB expert but there are a few stadiums like Wigley, Yankee, Fenway, Shea who have not bowed at the feet of corporate America. I must give them props for maintaining some sort of dignity.

I mean, it seems that these companies are like men who are going through a mid-life crisis. I can see it now, a board meeting of "executives" or people who thinks that they are important mulling around some idea. These are primarily men (because there are few women as compared to men in executive positions in corporate America) who are in their mid 40s-60s in polished suits. They had their "freak out" a few years ago, some left their wives for their new cupcake, others bought a new car/boat/house/butler (or all of the above), some had lipo or hair plugs all sitting around a table. Pondering what they can do to squeeze more money into their pockets. Well of course, a corporate investment....So "Let's buy a stadium".

I can't say with a straight face, "I want to go to US Cellular Field" that phrase makes me shudder, I want to go to Comiskey. Is it cool to say in Providence, Rhode Island hey let's see U2 at the "Dunkin Donut pavilion". I mean please....even Joe the old man who would get up early because he "Gotta make the donuts" would not sell out. I mean even the Church of Scientology sponsored a car at NASCAR, I mean come on people! Can't sports maintain some level of integrity but then again they give million dollar salaries for players who can't hit the ball? But what do I know I work in corporate America.

Grrrrrrrrr......

No comments: